2014 Elections: Quick Quotes
Because the election season has more or less begun, IndiaFacts, in keeping with its credo of restoring decency in public discourse, presents some quick quotes sent in by a reader. The goal is to help the reader and the citizen alike to assess and elect leaders in light of these statements. Let us not forget that some of these statements were made by people occupying lofty positions in the current Government.
1. People will forget the coal scam like they forgot Bofors – Sushil Kumar Shinde, Home Minister.
2. People join the Police and Army to die – Bhim Singh, Rural Works Department Minister, Bihar.
3. If there is no water to drink then should I urinate in the dams to bring water? – Ajit Pawar, Deputy Chief Minister Maharashtra.
4. Inflation is high because people purchase gold.- P. Chidambaram, Finance Minister.
5. Money does not grow on trees – Manmohan Singh, Prime Minister of India.
6. Our soldiers were not killed by Pakistani army but by terrorists wearing the uniform of Pakistani army – A K Antony, Defence Minister.
7. We do not have a magic wand that we can control inflation – Manmohan Singh
8. By killing cows we do not harm the country. If we do not kill cows, India will face a huge problem – Sharad Pawar, Agriculture Minister.
9. If Sonia ji says, I will even sweep the floor – Bhakta Charan Das, Congress MP, Kalahandi, Odisha.
10. East India Company came to loot India 400 years back. I again invite you to come to India for the next 200 years. There will be a huge reward for you – P. Chidambaram, London 1999
11. Mother India is a demoness – Azam Khan, Samajwadi Party politician.
12. It is possible to have a full meal for Rs 12 in Mumbai – Raj Babbar, Spokesperson, Congress party.
13. If we start protecting cows, the world will say that we are taking India to the 15th century – Jawaharlal Nehru, 1952
14. The poor are responsible for inflation – Manmohan Singh
15. The bigger threat to India may be the growth of radicalised Hindu groups, which create religious tensions and political confrontations – Rahul Gandhi, Vice President, Congress party.
16. I will not sing Vande Mataram: — Hamid Ansari, Vice President of India.
17. Sonia ji was moved to tears when Indian Mujahideen terrorists were killed at Batla House – Salman Khurshid, Law Minister
18. When a big tree falls, the earth shakes – Rajiv Gandhi, former Prime Minister of India on the murder of 3000 Sikhs
19. Inflation is high because people are eating more – P. Chidambaram
20. There is no such thing as poverty in India. It is a state of mind – Rahul Gandhi
21. Narendra Modi is a merchant of death – Sonia Gandhi, President of Congress party
22. I can become a parliamentarian any time I want. It is a small thing for me. – Robert Vadra, son-in-law of Sonia Gandhi.
23. People from UP are beggars. They go to Punjab and Gujarat to beg. – Rahul Gandhi